Extended comment of the Embassy of Ukraine on the situation with regard to attempted murder of Arkadiy Babchenko
- The hybrid war waged by the Russian Federation against Ukraine demands unorthodox approaches while effecting countermeasures. No other way to uncover the Russian-schemed attempt at Mr Babchenko’s life had existed than a special operation conducted in full secrecy.
- The risks of losing the chance to expose all the accomplices in the criminal attempt had outweighed all the other risks in this case. We count on understanding by Ukraine’s international partners and support for our country as it resists Russia’s hybrid acts.
- Saving Mr Babchenko’s life had been the biggest challenge facing the Ukrainian special services and law-enforcement agencies, and this mission was successfully accomplished.
- As a result of the skilfully conducted covert operation, the journalist’s life was saved, the perpetrator of the assassination attempt detained, and its organizers discovered.
- As President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko stressed during his meeting with Mr Babchenko, “we have finally learned to defend. To defend our country, to defend its citizens, and to do it through exceptionally professional efforts of the new SBU that is capable of standing up to challenges of any complexity”.
- It has to be taken into account that Russia’s strategy remains unchanged: destabilization of Ukraine. Such attacks as the attempt at Mr Babchenko’s life are perpetrated in order to unbalance the stability in Ukraine and substantiate the allegations of ineffectiveness of its government.
- As of today, the necessary investigative activities are underway. President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko’s position is most clear: it is now important to conclude the investigation and get information not only on the organizer but also on the persons who had ordered the hit and who will now continue to attempt similar acts against Ukraine.
- We take this opportunity to urge our partners to accept this with understanding and to facilitate mobilization of international support for enhancement of sanctions against the Russian aggressor.