Certification of public documents
Ukraine is Party to The Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents of 5 October 1961 (hereinafter – the Convention).
The Convention came into force for Ukraine on 22 December 2003.
The Convention applies to public documents which have been executed in the territory of one contracting State and which have to be produced in the territory of another contracting State. Special certification called “Apostille” (hereinafter - apostille) is affixed to these documents.
Documents completed with an apostille certification must be submitted directly to a member nation to the Convention without any further action or certification (consular legalization).
The Convention does not apply to:
a) documents executed by diplomatic or consular agents;
b) administrative documents dealing directly with commercial or customs operations.
According to the Instruction of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of 18/01/2003 # 61 “On Authorization for Apostille certification for public documents” an apostille for the documents issued in Ukraine is affixed by:
- the Ministry of Education and Science, Youth and Sport of Ukraine – for public documents issued by the educational institutions, state bodies, enterprises, offices and organizations in the field of education and science.
- the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine – for documents issued by the judicial bodies and courts and also for the documents issued by the public notaries in Ukraine.
- the State Register Service of Ukraine – for documents issued by this Service and its structural devisions of regional bodies of the Ministry of Justice which provides the realization of State Register Service powers.
- the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine – for all other types of documents.
Аpostille is affixed to the following types of documents:
- documents issued by a state court of Ukraine;
- for the documents issued by the prosecutors’ offices, judicial bodies of Ukraine;
- administrative documents;
- for the documents on education and academic status;
- documents executed before a notary public;
- official certificates which are placed on documents signed by persons in their private capacity, such as official certificates recording the registration of a document or the fact that it was in existence on a certain date and official and notarial authentications of signatures.
Apostille application is processed within 5 working days. In case the documents are submitted by the owner apostille is affixed the same day. In case submission of documents is made by a non-owner the documents are released the next working day.
Terms for submission to place apostille can be prolonged up to 20 days in case of necessity to get additional information to determine whether to affix apostille. The exact terms will be told by the officer to the applicant during reception time, needed for accepting the documents.
Acceptance and processing of the documents for apostille is prepared every working day by Apostille and Obtaining of Documents Division of the Directorate General for Consular Service from 9 am till 12:00; release of documents 4.00 pm till 5.00 pm (on Fridays 4.00 pm till 4.30 pm).
The updated information on the list of Member-states to the Convention can be found here.
Consular fees for apostille certification shall be paid directly in the bank office located in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, upon documents subjects to legalization have been handed in:
- 51 UAH for documents of private persons;
- 85 UAH for documents of legal entities.
Please apply for the information on apostille certification to:
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine:
Postal address: 2, Velyka Zhytomyrska str., Kyiv, 01018 (2nd entrance hall of the Diplomatic Academy)
Phone/fax: +38 044 238 16 69
|Address:||78 Kensington Park Road London W11 2PL. View on map|
|Phone:||+44 (0) 20 7243 8923. Hotline for emergencies as regards Ukraine’s nationals: +44(0)75 5348 3628 (24/7)|
|Fax:||00 44 207 727 35 67|
Mon: 10:00 am to 1.00 pm (new applications will be accepted until 12.30 pm only)
Tue: 10:00 am to 1.00 pm (new applications will be accepted until 12.30 pm only)
Wed: 1 pm to 4:30 pm (new applications will be accepted until 4 pm only)
Thu: 10:00 am to 1.00 pm (new applications will be accepted until 12.30 pm only)
Fri: 10:00 am to 11.30 am (only applications of pregnant women, families with
minors, disabled people will be accepted)
Fri: 11:30 am to 1.00 pm – all other applications (new applications will be accepted until 12.30 pm only)
The list of Ukrainian National Holidays in 2018:
· January 1 - New Year's Day
· January 7 - Orthodox Christmas (The Consular Office will not operate on January 8)*
· March 8 - Women’s Day (The Consular Office will not operate on March 9)*
· April 8 - Easter (The Consular Office will not operate on April 9)*
· May 1 - Labor Day (The Consular Office will not operate on April 30)*
· May 9 - Victory Day
· May 28 - Trinity Day
· June 28 - Constitution Day (The Consular Office will not operate on June 29)*
· August 24 - Ukrainian Independence Day
· October 14 - Defender of Ukraine Day (The Consular Office will not operate on October 15)*
· December 25 - Christmas
Please, note that we are closed on Ukraine's holidays as well as on bank holidays in the UK
|Chief:||Mr Andrii Kuslii
Consul - head of mission
|Address:||8 Windsor Street, Edinburgh, EH7 5JR. Citizen's reception hours on consular and legal issues: Monday, Wednesday, Friday:09:00-12:45; Tuesday:14:00-17:45; Thursday:09:00-11:00. View on map|
|Phone:||0044 131 556 00 23|
|Fax:||0044 131 557 34 60|
Reception of citizens of Ukraine, foreign nationals and stateless persons:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 09:00 -12: 45
Tuesday: 14:00 - 17:45
Thursday: 09:00 - 11:00
for certain categories of citizens (disabled people, pregnant women, seriously ill nationals)
Reception of citizens by the head of mission will be held on the first Tuesday of each month from 09.30 to 12.00.
On weekends and holidays Ukrainians will be accepted in case of an emergency, loss of passport documents, accident, death, arrest, etc.
Emergency phone (strictly for Ukrainian nationals in life-threatening situations in Scotland & Northern Ireland Region): +44 7423290618.
|Boundaries of the consular district:||
Scotland and Northern Ireland
One should pay consular fees by cards: VISA DELTA, VISA ELECTRON, UK MAESTRO DEBIT, MASTERCARD DEBIT
Social media use:
Consulate of Ukraine facebook page - http://on.fb.me/1FvvtkH
Consulate of Ukraine Twitter account - https://twitter.com/UKRinEdinburgh
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine Social Media Accounts - http://mfa.gov.ua/en/page/open/id/4601